Font ResizerAa
The Popular StoryThe Popular Story
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • World
Search
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • World
Follow US
Copyright © 2024 MP Media. All Rights Reserved.
The Popular Story > Blog > Sports > Andrew McDonald: Australia under fire after disastrous T20 World Cup – ‘Aura no longer there’ | Cricket News
Sports

Andrew McDonald: Australia under fire after disastrous T20 World Cup – ‘Aura no longer there’ | Cricket News

By Sumitra Patel Last updated: February 22, 2026 4 Min Read
Share


'Aura no longer there': 'Devastated' Australia under fire after disastrous T20 World Cup
Australia’s Travis Head, center, along with his teammates during the T20 World Cup cricket match between Australia and Zimbabwe in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Friday, Feb. 13, 2026. (AP Photo)

Australia coach Andrew McDonald has defended the squad he selected for the Twenty20 World Cup, saying the players were capable of progressing, but Australia now face the prospect of a rebuild ahead of co-hosting the next edition with New Zealand in 2028.The 2021 champions entered the tournament in India and Sri Lanka as contenders but were eliminated in the group stage for the first time since 2009. The early exit has drawn criticism from former players and sections of the media.Fast-bowling great Glenn McGrath pointed to the absence of Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood and Mitchell Starc as a key weakness.

T20 World Cup: Afghanistan coach Jonathan Trott’s emotional press conference

“We said at the start of this World Cup that we were concerned about Australia,” pace great Glenn McGrath told reporters, pointing to the absence of fast bowlers Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood and Mitchell Starc as exposing a soft underbelly.“All of a sudden, the aura of that Australian team is no longer there when other teams play it … unfortunately, not surprising.”Concerns had already surfaced in the lead-up when Australia lost all three matches against Pakistan by 22, 90 and 111 runs — the last two being their biggest defeats by runs in T20 internationals. At the time, captain Mitchell Marsh said: “Absolutely no stress from our end.” The mood later shifted to “It’s a devastated group” after defeats to Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka.Selectors George Bailey, McDonald and Tony Dodemaide were criticised for backing out-of-form all-rounders Cameron Green and Cooper Connolly, for not picking Steve Smith, and for dropping Matt Renshaw for the Sri Lanka match while still in contention.Former selector Mark Waugh also questioned the choices.“Look at the selections, look at (Glenn) Maxwell, Connolly, Green and (Josh) Inglis, these guys are all out of form,” lamented Mark Waugh, himself a former selector.“The selectors have their plans in place, but you’ve got to be smart enough to see which players are in form and which players are out of form.“And you’ve got to play the percentages a lot better than what our selectors have played.”McDonald rejected outside criticism, saying: “There was always going to be differing opinions from the outside,” adding that outsiders “don’t understand what the moving parts are and the conversations are on the inside”.A review of the campaign will begin after the team returns home. Only three members of the current squad — Green, Connolly and fast bowler Xavier Bartlett — will be under 30 by the next World Cup. The futures of senior players such as Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Hazlewood and Cummins remain unclear, while Starc has already retired from T20 internationals.



Source link

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

HOT NEWS

Samantha Ruth Prabhu’s ‘Maa Inti Bangaaram’ release date announced; actress promises emotional family drama |

Samantha Ruth Prabhu is gearing up to return to the big screen with a powerful…

February 22, 2026

Shivakumar’s Comments on Constitutional Amendments Spark Political Row

Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister DK Shivakumar's recent comments regarding the modification of the Constitution to…

March 25, 2025

Gujarat’s ‘Bulldozer Justice’: Crackdown on Criminals Gains Momentum

The Gujarat government has intensified its crackdown on criminals through a campaign termed "Dada ka…

March 25, 2025

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Dushan Hemantha bizarrely knocks over his own stumps in Super 8 T20 World Cup clash | Cricket News

Sri Lanka’s Super 8 clash against England in the T20 World Cup produced a shocking moment when Dushan Hemantha got…

Sports
February 22, 2026

Hara-kiri at Pallekele! Sri Lanka batters surrender meekly after Phil Salt’s sublime 62; England win by 51 runs | Cricket News

England's Will Jacks, center, celebrates the wicket of Sri Lanka's Dunith Wellalage during the T20 World Cup cricket match between…

Sports
February 22, 2026

‘Don’t think PCB chief has given full freedom’: Mohsin Naqvi under fire amid Pakistan cricket tensions | Cricket News

NEW DELHI: Former India batter Manoj Tiwary has questioned the leadership of Pakistan Cricket Board chief Mohsin Naqvi, saying a…

Sports
February 22, 2026

​​Tejal Hasabnis stars as India A beat Bangladesh A by 46 runs to lift Women’s Asia Cup Rising Stars 2026 title | Cricket News

NEW DELHI: India A Women delivered a commanding all-round performance to defeat Bangladesh by 46 runs in the final and…

Sports
February 22, 2026
Copyright © 2020 MP Media All rights reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?