Font ResizerAa
The Popular StoryThe Popular Story
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • World
Search
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • World
Follow US
Copyright © 2024 MP Media. All Rights Reserved.
The Popular Story > Blog > Sports > Forced out by Taliban, Afghanistan refugee women’s cricket team to tour England next month | Cricket News
Sports

Forced out by Taliban, Afghanistan refugee women’s cricket team to tour England next month | Cricket News

By Sumitra Patel Last updated: May 21, 2026 2 Min Read
Share


Forced out by Taliban, Afghanistan refugee women’s cricket team to tour England next month

Afghanistan’s displaced women cricketers will tour England next month in a major step in their effort to rebuild their cricket careers after the return of the Taliban to power forced them out of sports and public life.The Afghanistan Refugee Team will include players who were previously contracted with the Afghanistan Cricket Board and later left the country after being “systematically excluded from sport and public life” by the Taliban, according to the England and Wales Cricket Board.The tour will begin on June 22 and will feature Twenty20 matches, training sessions and a chance for the players to attend the Women’s T20 World Cup final at Lord’s Cricket Ground on July 5.The ECB said the tour “carries significant cultural and sporting importance.”“This tour represents not only an opportunity for them to compete as a team,” the ECB said, “but a moment for cricket in this country to stand for inclusion and the protection of women’s participation in sport.”Most of the Afghanistan players later settled in Australia, where they continued playing domestic cricket but remained without access to international matches, despite International Cricket Council rules requiring all full members to support both men’s and women’s teams.The players have repeatedly asked the International Cricket Council to recognise them as a refugee team.Their return to cricket has been supported by consultancy firm “It’s Game On”, which was co-founded by former Australia cricketer Mel Jones.“These players have shown extraordinary courage and commitment to the game, despite everything that has been taken from them,” Jones said in the ECB statement.“They deserve more opportunities like this; they deserve to be recognized as part of the global cricket community.”Jones also called for more plans for “sustained and meaningful action beyond this year.”ECB deputy chief executive Clare Connor said cricket had “a responsibility to stand for inclusion and opportunity.”“We are proud to be hosting this tour,” Connor said, “and supporting the players in deepening their connection to the game.”



Source link

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
[mc4wp_form]
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

HOT NEWS

Inside her life after divorce with Donald Trump Jr.

Because they kept the details private, the rumour mill spent years guessing what went wrong.A…

May 21, 2026

Mohit Patel: The Visionary Mind Behind MP Media, Monax, and The Popular Story

In the competitive era of digital media, branding, and youth culture, very few names are…

April 23, 2025

At AI Summit, PM Modi’s nameplate carries a ‘Bharat’ message | India News

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday addressed the plenary session at the AI…

February 19, 2026

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

East Bengal end 22-year wait, lift national title by winning ISL | Football News

East Bengal have won the national league title after a 22 year gap, winning the 2025-26 ISL season. (Image: AIFF/ISL)…

Sports
May 21, 2026

MS Dhoni misses entire IPL 2026 league stage for CSK, a first in tournament history | Cricket News

MS Dhoni (Image credit: BCCI/IPL) NEW DELHI: The hopes of getting a glimpse of legendary Mahendra Singh Dhoni in Chennai…

Sports
May 21, 2026

IPL 2026 | Record! Shubman Gill and Sai Sudharsan become first opening pair in IPL history to … | Cricket News

Shubman Gill and Sai Sudharsan (Image credit: BCCI/IPL Photo) NEW DELHI: Gujarat Titans openers Shubman Gill and Sai Sudharsan continued…

Sports
May 21, 2026

IPL 2026 | Shubman Gill-Sai Sudharsan script history, equal Virat Kohli-Chris Gayle’s massive T20 feat | Cricket News

Shubman Gill, Sai Sudharsan, Virat Kohli and Chris Gayle (Image credit: BCCI/IPL) NEW DELHI: Gujarat Titans openers Shubman Gill and…

Sports
May 21, 2026
Copyright © 2020 MP Media All rights reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?