Font ResizerAa
The Popular StoryThe Popular Story
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • World
Search
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • World
Follow US
Copyright © 2024 MP Media. All Rights Reserved.
The Popular Story > Blog > World > France bans Israel minister Ben-Gvir over mocking detained Gaza flotilla activists
World

France bans Israel minister Ben-Gvir over mocking detained Gaza flotilla activists

By Mohit Patel Last updated: May 24, 2026 5 Min Read
Share


'Apologise For This Nonsense': Italy's Meloni Slams Israeli Humiliation Of Gaza Flotilla Activists

FILE – Israeli far-right lawmaker Itamar Ben-Gvir gestures after election exit poll results are released at his party’s headquarters in Jerusalem on Nov. 2, 2022. (AP Photo/Oren Ziv, File)

France announced that it has banned Israeli national security minister Itamar Ben-Gvir from entering the country after he released videos appearing to mock and intimidate pro-Palestinian activists detained from a Gaza-bound aid flotilla. The video shared by the Israeli minister has also drawn widespread international condemnation and renewed calls for European sanctions against the far-right minister.French foreign minister announced the move in a post on X, accusing Ben-Gvir of “unspeakable” behaviour towards French and European nationals who were among hundreds of activists intercepted by Israeli forces in international waters earlier this week.“As of today, Itamar Ben-Gvir is banned from entering French territory. This decision follows his unspeakable actions toward French and European citizens who were passengers on the Global Sumud Flotilla,” Barrot wrote.“We cannot tolerate that French nationals can be threatened, intimidated or brutalized in this way — all the more so by a public official,” he added, while also urging the European Union to impose bloc-wide sanctions on the Israeli minister.The ban comes after a video shared by Ben-Gvir on Wednesday sparked outrage across Europe and among rights groups. In a post on X, he shared a video of detained flotilla activists with the caption, “This is how we accept the supporters of terrorism. Welcome to Israel.”In one clip, the minister is seen waving a large Israeli flag over hunched detainees whose hands appeared to be bound. Another clip from the video showed him shouting “Am Yisrael Chai” — Hebrew for “The nation of Israel lives” — at a kneeling activist with zip-tied wrists.The footage also showed detainees kneeling with their foreheads pressed to the ground inside an outdoor holding area while the Israeli national anthem played and armed guards surrounded them. The footage was captioned “Welcome to Israel”.Israeli forces intercepted the flotilla in international waters after the convoy attempted to breach Israel’s naval blockade of Gaza. The activists, who had departed from Turkey aboard around 50 vessels under the Global Sumud Flotilla initiative, said they were delivering humanitarian aid and protesting the blockade imposed on Gaza since 2007.According to French authorities, 36 French nationals were among the detained activists. Israel later said the detainees would be deported.Barrot criticised the flotilla mission itself, saying France did not support the activists’ approach.“We disapprove of this flotilla’s approach, which produces no useful effect and places an additional burden on diplomatic and consular services,” he wrote.Despite that criticism, France maintained that the treatment of the detainees crossed a line. Barrot said he was coordinating with Italy in pushing for European Union sanctions against Ben-Gvir.Spain has also urged the EU to sanction the Israeli minister, while the United Kingdom summoned Israel’s most senior diplomat in London over what it described as the “inflammatory video”.Netanyahu distanced himself from the videos but stopped short of taking action against his coalition ally. The Israeli prime minister said Ben-Gvir’s conduct was “not in line with Israel’s values and norms”, though he retained him in his cabinet, news agency AP reported.At the same time, Netanyahu defended Israel’s interception of the flotilla, previously describing the aid mission as a “malicious scheme” intended to support Hamas.Israel has maintained tight control over all entry points into Gaza for nearly two decades. The blockade has faced growing international scrutiny during the ongoing Gaza war, as the territory experiences severe shortages of food, medicine and other essential supplies. Aid agencies have repeatedly warned of worsening humanitarian conditions, particularly during periods when Israel halted aid deliveries entirely.The latest flotilla operation followed a similar attempt last month that was intercepted by Israeli authorities in international waters off Greece, with most activists later expelled to Europe.



Source link

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
[mc4wp_form]
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Mohit Patel May 24, 2026 May 24, 2026
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

HOT NEWS

Mohit Patel: The Visionary Mind Behind MP Media, Monax, and The Popular Story

Mohit Patel: The Visionary Mind Behind MP Media, Monax, and The Popular Story

In the competitive era of digital media, branding, and youth culture, very few names are…

April 23, 2025
At AI Summit, PM Modi’s nameplate carries a ‘Bharat’ message | India News

At AI Summit, PM Modi’s nameplate carries a ‘Bharat’ message | India News

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday addressed the plenary session at the AI…

February 19, 2026
‘Who will pay for it?’: SC raps Tamil Nadu govt for promising free electricity; flags ‘freebie’ politics | India News

‘Who will pay for it?’: SC raps Tamil Nadu govt for promising free electricity; flags ‘freebie’ politics | India News

NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court on Thursday pulled up Tamil Nadu electricity board for promising…

February 19, 2026

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Meet Dusty Langby, the 12-year-old Australian boy preparing to walk 540km to Canberra to raise $1 million for rural children’s healthcare

Photo: Jessica Hromas/AAP PHOTOS At just three years old, Dusty Langby was already learning what it meant to be a…

World
August 12, 2026

Texas avoided a huge electricity crisis and blackout risk, thanks to the massive 20,000-megawatt solar buffer | World News

Solar panel installation, Krugerville. Image Credit: Ken Oltmann/US Department of Energy Texas has relied on its old thermal power plants…

World
August 11, 2026

Meet Japan’s ‘women of the sea’: 80-year-old diver dives into cold waters without an oxygen tank to harvest seafood using a centuries-old tradition | World News

For generations, women along Japan’s Ise-Shima coastline have entered the sea without scuba equipment or oxygen tanks to gather seafood…

World
August 10, 2026

Budapest’s low Danube exposed two German soldiers and a DKW military motorcycle; mud mixed with gas oil preserved identity discs after around 80 years

The most striking discovery was the German military motorbike recovered from the middle of the Danube (Photo-German War Graves Commission)…

World
August 9, 2026
Copyright © 2020 MP Media All rights reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?