Font ResizerAa
The Popular StoryThe Popular Story
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • World
Search
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • World
Follow US
Copyright © 2024 MP Media. All Rights Reserved.
The Popular Story > Blog > World > Indian-origin cancer specialist banned from practising in UK says, ‘I will never work in that country again’
World

Indian-origin cancer specialist banned from practising in UK says, ‘I will never work in that country again’

By Mohit Patel Last updated: May 23, 2026 4 Min Read
Share
Indian-origin cancer specialist banned from practising in UK says, ‘I will never work in that country again’


Indian-origin cancer specialist banned from practising in UK says, 'I will never work in that country again'
Shamir Chandran was convicted of coercive behaviour and is wanted by police

An Indian-origin cancer specialist has been struck off the UK medical register after a tribunal ruled that his criminal conviction made him a risk to the public, meaning he can no longer practise medicine in the UK, a sanction more severe than simply being dismissed from his job.Shamir Chandran, an oncologist who previously worked at a Newcastle hospital, was sentenced in November to four years in prison after being convicted of two counts of controlling and coercive behaviour and one count of cruelty to a person under 16.The Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service (MPTS) has now ordered that his name be erased from the medical register, according to BBC.According to BBC, Chandran did not attend either his criminal trial at Carlisle Crown Court or the disciplinary proceedings. The report stated that he had fled the UK and that there is an outstanding warrant for his arrest. Cumbria Police confirmed he is wanted.The tribunal described the offences as serious and said the behaviour involved repeated actions against vulnerable individuals.“It was directed towards people who were vulnerable and involved elements of premeditation – seeking financial gain from [his victim] through intimidation,” the report said.The MPTS also found that Chandran had shown no understanding of the seriousness of his actions or their impact: “The tribunal considered that there was a real risk of him harming someone in the future.”The tribunal said allowing him to continue practising medicine would seriously damage public confidence in the profession.Emails included in the tribunal documents showed Chandran criticised the way he was treated in Britain and said his medical career had been ruined.“I don’t care anymore about the proceedings, as my career has already been destroyed,” he wrote to the General Medical Council (GMC).“I am utterly disgusted with the way I have been treated in the UK and I will never work in that country again. They treated me like a common criminal without giving any regard to what I had to say and the impact of what they were doing.”The tribunal documents also revealed that Chandran had resigned from his NHS role and left UK after the GMC action against him.“Due to the GMC action, I had to resign (from) my job and leave the UK. I don’t know how I can help with these proceedings now, as I am not working at present,” he said in another email.Chandran earned his MBBS degree from the University of Calicut Academy of Medical Sciences in Pariyaram, Kerala. He later told the GMC that he no longer wished to continue practising oncology and had started working with a friend in a private business while rebuilding his life.However, the tribunal said there was no evidence that he had accepted responsibility or taken steps to address his conduct.



Source link

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
[mc4wp_form]
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Mohit Patel May 23, 2026 May 23, 2026
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

HOT NEWS

Mohit Patel: The Visionary Mind Behind MP Media, Monax, and The Popular Story

Mohit Patel: The Visionary Mind Behind MP Media, Monax, and The Popular Story

In the competitive era of digital media, branding, and youth culture, very few names are…

April 23, 2025
At AI Summit, PM Modi’s nameplate carries a ‘Bharat’ message | India News

At AI Summit, PM Modi’s nameplate carries a ‘Bharat’ message | India News

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday addressed the plenary session at the AI…

February 19, 2026
‘Who will pay for it?’: SC raps Tamil Nadu govt for promising free electricity; flags ‘freebie’ politics | India News

‘Who will pay for it?’: SC raps Tamil Nadu govt for promising free electricity; flags ‘freebie’ politics | India News

NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court on Thursday pulled up Tamil Nadu electricity board for promising…

February 19, 2026

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Meet Dusty Langby, the 12-year-old Australian boy preparing to walk 540km to Canberra to raise $1 million for rural children’s healthcare

Photo: Jessica Hromas/AAP PHOTOS At just three years old, Dusty Langby was already learning what it meant to be a…

World
August 12, 2026

Texas avoided a huge electricity crisis and blackout risk, thanks to the massive 20,000-megawatt solar buffer | World News

Solar panel installation, Krugerville. Image Credit: Ken Oltmann/US Department of Energy Texas has relied on its old thermal power plants…

World
August 11, 2026

Meet Japan’s ‘women of the sea’: 80-year-old diver dives into cold waters without an oxygen tank to harvest seafood using a centuries-old tradition | World News

For generations, women along Japan’s Ise-Shima coastline have entered the sea without scuba equipment or oxygen tanks to gather seafood…

World
August 10, 2026

Budapest’s low Danube exposed two German soldiers and a DKW military motorcycle; mud mixed with gas oil preserved identity discs after around 80 years

The most striking discovery was the German military motorbike recovered from the middle of the Danube (Photo-German War Graves Commission)…

World
August 9, 2026
Copyright © 2020 MP Media All rights reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?