Font ResizerAa
The Popular StoryThe Popular Story
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • World
Search
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • World
Follow US
Copyright © 2024 MP Media. All Rights Reserved.
The Popular Story > Blog > Sports > Neymar returns! Brazil superstar earns dramatic World Cup recall after nearly three years
Sports

Neymar returns! Brazil superstar earns dramatic World Cup recall after nearly three years

By Sumitra Patel Last updated: May 19, 2026 3 Min Read
Share


Neymar returns! Brazil superstar earns dramatic World Cup recall after nearly three years
Brazil’s Neymar (AP /PTI)

Brazil have brought Neymar back into their World Cup plans, with the veteran forward earning a dramatic recall to the national squad nearly three years after his last appearance for the Seleção. Coach Carlo Ancelotti confirmed the 34-year-old’s inclusion while announcing Brazil’s 26-man squad at a gala event in Rio de Janeiro on Monday. The announcement sparked loud cheers from the crowd as Neymar’s name was read out, underlining the excitement around his return. Neymar, Brazil’s all-time top scorer with 79 goals in 128 international matches, had not played for the national team since suffering a serious knee injury during a World Cup qualifier against Uruguay in 2023. Questions over whether the former FC Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain F.C. star would return to the international setup had persisted for months. Injury setbacks and inconsistent form had kept him out of contention, and Ancelotti himself had previously left Neymar out of Brazil’s March friendlies against France and Croatia because of concerns surrounding his fitness. However, Neymar’s move back to boyhood club Santos FC earlier this year appears to have helped him regain the confidence of the Brazil coaching staff. “We monitored Neymar throughout the year and observed that, in recent times, he has been playing consistently and his physical condition has improved,” Ancelotti said. “We believe he is an important player.” Despite the recall, Neymar’s struggles with injuries have continued since rejoining Santos. He has managed only 15 appearances across 31 matches since returning to the Brazilian side in 2026. The experienced attacker now prepares for what could be his fourth World Cup campaign after previously representing Brazil in the 2014, 2018 and 2022 tournaments. Brazil, chasing a record-extending sixth World Cup title, will begin their campaign in the United States, Canada and Mexico against Morocco on June 13 before facing Haiti and Scotland in Group C. Neymar’s return also strengthens an already dangerous Brazilian attack featuring Raphinha and Vinícius Júnior. Ancelotti, meanwhile, stressed that mental toughness rather than perfection would decide the tournament. “The World Cup won’t be won by a perfect team — because a perfect team doesn’t exist,” he said. “It will be won by the most resilient team.”



Source link

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
[mc4wp_form]
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

HOT NEWS

Mohit Patel: The Visionary Mind Behind MP Media, Monax, and The Popular Story

In the competitive era of digital media, branding, and youth culture, very few names are…

April 23, 2025

At AI Summit, PM Modi’s nameplate carries a ‘Bharat’ message | India News

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday addressed the plenary session at the AI…

February 19, 2026

‘Who will pay for it?’: SC raps Tamil Nadu govt for promising free electricity; flags ‘freebie’ politics | India News

NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court on Thursday pulled up Tamil Nadu electricity board for promising…

February 19, 2026

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

‘Don’t think missing one game for England bothers him’: Jofra Archer backed amid criticism over IPL priority | Cricket News

Jofra Archer is reportedly unfazed by criticism in England over missing the first Test against New Zealand due to IPL…

Sports
May 24, 2026

‘That is the bottom line’: Rohit Sharma reveals big India dream | Cricket News

Rohit Sharma (Photo: BCCI) Former Indian captain and T20 World Cup winner Rohit Sharma who played nearly two decades for…

Sports
May 24, 2026

Rishabh Pant to be sacked as captain? LSG reveal plans after IPL 2026 | Cricket News

LSG board of director Tom Moody drops big on captaincy (Image: X) Lucknow Super Giants are likely to undergo a…

Sports
May 24, 2026

Pranati Nayak clinches vault silver at FIG World Challenge Cup | More sports News

Pranati Nayak of India (AP Photo) After skipping the Gymnastics National Championships held at Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar earlier this…

Sports
May 24, 2026
Copyright © 2020 MP Media All rights reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?