Font ResizerAa
The Popular StoryThe Popular Story
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • World
Search
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • World
Follow US
Copyright © 2024 MP Media. All Rights Reserved.
The Popular Story > Blog > World > Operation Epic Fury to resume? Donald Trump weighs fresh Iran strikes after China visit: Report
World

Operation Epic Fury to resume? Donald Trump weighs fresh Iran strikes after China visit: Report

By Mohit Patel Last updated: May 16, 2026 4 Min Read
Share
Operation Epic Fury to resume? Donald Trump weighs fresh Iran strikes after China visit: Report


Contents
Pentagon prepares escalation optionsStrait of Hormuz remains central concernMassive military presence remains in region
Operation Epic Fury to resume? Donald Trump weighs fresh Iran strikes after China visit: Report
File photo: US President Donald Trump

US President Donald Trump returned from China on Friday, facing mounting pressure over the Iran war, with top aides preparing options for renewed military action against Tehran if diplomacy fails.According to a New York Times report, Pentagon officials have drafted plans for a possible resumption of strikes under a renewed military campaign after “Operation Epic Fury” was paused during the April ceasefire. Trump, however, has not yet made a final decision.“I looked at it, and if I don’t like the first sentence I just throw it away,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One while referring to Iran’s latest peace proposal.The report said US, Israeli and regional officials are trying to broker a compromise that could lead Iran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, allowing Trump to claim a diplomatic breakthrough amid growing domestic criticism over the costly conflict.

Pentagon prepares escalation options

War secretary Pete Hegseth told lawmakers this week that the US military had “a plan to escalate if necessary”, while also keeping options open to scale back deployments.The report stated that the Pentagon has prepared multiple military scenarios, including intensified bombing campaigns targeting Iranian military and infrastructure sites.Another option reportedly involves deploying US Special Operations troops to secure highly enriched uranium believed to be stored deep underground at Iran’s Isfahan nuclear facility.As per the New York Times, several hundred Special Operations personnel were moved to the Middle East earlier this year to prepare for such contingencies. However, officials acknowledged that any ground operation would carry “big risks of casualties” and require thousands of support troops.Iran, meanwhile, signalled readiness for renewed hostilities. “Our armed forces are ready to deliver a well-deserved response to any aggression,” Iranian Parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said.

Strait of Hormuz remains central concern

The Strait of Hormuz continues to remain at the centre of the crisis, with Iran refusing to fully reopen the key oil transit route while the US maintains its blockade measures.Trump said after talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping that both Washington and Beijing agreed the strait must reopen.“We don’t want them to have a nuclear weapon, we want the straits open,” Trump said while in Beijing.Trump said his patience with Iran was “running out” and warned Tehran to “make a deal”.However, China publicly stopped short of indicating it would pressure Iran directly.Iranian foreign minister Abbas Araqchi said Tehran remained open to diplomacy but did not trust Washington after previous negotiations were followed by air strikes.

Massive military presence remains in region

More than 50,000 US troops, two aircraft carriers, several destroyers and multiple warplanes remain stationed across the region.US Gen Dan Caine said military officials “retain and continue to hold a range of options for our civilian leaders”, according to the report.Despite weeks of attacks, US intelligence assessments indicate Iran has restored access to most of its missile launch facilities and underground military infrastructure.The report also noted that Tehran has regained operational access to 30 of its 33 missile sites along the Strait of Hormuz.Oil prices continued to rise amid fears of escalation. Brent crude climbed around 3% to nearly $109 a barrel, while concerns over prolonged disruption to Gulf shipping routes pushed US Treasury yields to their highest levels in about a year.



Source link

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
[mc4wp_form]
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Mohit Patel May 16, 2026 May 16, 2026
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

HOT NEWS

Keep these 8 foods at your desk for the 4 pm hunger attack

Keep these 8 foods at your desk for the 4 pm hunger attack

Sometimes the 4 pm craving is simply a sign that you have not eaten enough…

August 19, 2026
Mohit Patel: The Visionary Mind Behind MP Media, Monax, and The Popular Story

Mohit Patel: The Visionary Mind Behind MP Media, Monax, and The Popular Story

In the competitive era of digital media, branding, and youth culture, very few names are…

April 23, 2025
At AI Summit, PM Modi’s nameplate carries a ‘Bharat’ message | India News

At AI Summit, PM Modi’s nameplate carries a ‘Bharat’ message | India News

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday addressed the plenary session at the AI…

February 19, 2026

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Meet Dusty Langby, the 12-year-old Australian boy preparing to walk 540km to Canberra to raise $1 million for rural children’s healthcare

Photo: Jessica Hromas/AAP PHOTOS At just three years old, Dusty Langby was already learning what it meant to be a…

World
August 12, 2026

Texas avoided a huge electricity crisis and blackout risk, thanks to the massive 20,000-megawatt solar buffer | World News

Solar panel installation, Krugerville. Image Credit: Ken Oltmann/US Department of Energy Texas has relied on its old thermal power plants…

World
August 11, 2026

Meet Japan’s ‘women of the sea’: 80-year-old diver dives into cold waters without an oxygen tank to harvest seafood using a centuries-old tradition | World News

For generations, women along Japan’s Ise-Shima coastline have entered the sea without scuba equipment or oxygen tanks to gather seafood…

World
August 10, 2026

Budapest’s low Danube exposed two German soldiers and a DKW military motorcycle; mud mixed with gas oil preserved identity discs after around 80 years

The most striking discovery was the German military motorbike recovered from the middle of the Danube (Photo-German War Graves Commission)…

World
August 9, 2026
Copyright © 2020 MP Media All rights reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?