Font ResizerAa
The Popular StoryThe Popular Story
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • World
Search
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • World
Follow US
Copyright © 2024 MP Media. All Rights Reserved.
The Popular Story > Blog > World > Over 80 dead, 246 cases reported in Ituri province; health emergency declared
World

Over 80 dead, 246 cases reported in Ituri province; health emergency declared

By Mohit Patel Last updated: May 16, 2026 3 Min Read
Share
Over 80 dead, 246 cases reported in Ituri province; health emergency declared


Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: Over 80 dead, 246 cases reported in Ituri province; health emergency declared

Africa’s top public health agency has declared an Ebola outbreak in the eastern Ituri province of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), with 246 cases and 80 deaths reported so far, mainly in the gold-mining towns of Mongwalu and Rwampara.The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) said preliminary laboratory tests conducted at the Institut National de Recherche Biomédicale in Kinshasa have confirmed the virus in 13 of 20 samples, while further tests are underway to determine the strain. Of the reported deaths, four were among confirmed cases.Additional suspected infections have been reported in the provincial capital Bunia. Health officials have warned of a high risk of further spread due to population movement, urban settings in affected areas, and mining activity, BBC reported. Uganda on Friday also confirmed an imported Ebola case linked to DR Congo. The Ugandan health ministry said a 59-year-old Congolese man, who was admitted to a hospital in Kampala on Monday, died on Thursday in intensive care after testing positive for Ebola. Authorities said no local transmission has been detected so far.Africa CDC executive director Dr Jean Kaseya said ‘significant population movement’ between affected regions and neighbouring countries made regional coordination essential. The agency has called for joint action with DR Congo, Uganda, South Sudan and other partners to strengthen surveillance and response measures.The Congolese government has not yet formally declared the outbreak but is expected to hold a press briefing. It has also convened consultations with neighbouring countries and international partners on containment strategies.Ebola, first identified in 1976 in what is now DR Congo, is believed to have originated in bats and spreads through direct contact with bodily fluids. The disease causes severe bleeding, organ failure and has an average fatality rate of around 50%, according to the World Health Organization.Early symptoms include fever, fatigue, muscle pain, headache and sore throat, followed by vomiting, diarrhoea, rash and internal or external bleeding. There is no proven cure, though supportive treatment can improve survival chances.Ituri province has remained volatile, with military rule imposed in 2021 amid long-running activity by armed groups, including the Islamic State-linked Allied Democratic Forces.DR Congo has experienced 17 Ebola outbreaks since the virus was first discovered. The country’s deadliest outbreak between 2018 and 2020 killed nearly 2,300 people, while a separate outbreak last year in Kasai province killed 45. Around 15,000 people have died from Ebola across Africa over the past five decades.



Source link

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
[mc4wp_form]
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Mohit Patel May 16, 2026 May 16, 2026
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

HOT NEWS

Keep these 8 foods at your desk for the 4 pm hunger attack

Keep these 8 foods at your desk for the 4 pm hunger attack

Sometimes the 4 pm craving is simply a sign that you have not eaten enough…

August 19, 2026
Mohit Patel: The Visionary Mind Behind MP Media, Monax, and The Popular Story

Mohit Patel: The Visionary Mind Behind MP Media, Monax, and The Popular Story

In the competitive era of digital media, branding, and youth culture, very few names are…

April 23, 2025
At AI Summit, PM Modi’s nameplate carries a ‘Bharat’ message | India News

At AI Summit, PM Modi’s nameplate carries a ‘Bharat’ message | India News

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday addressed the plenary session at the AI…

February 19, 2026

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Meet Dusty Langby, the 12-year-old Australian boy preparing to walk 540km to Canberra to raise $1 million for rural children’s healthcare

Photo: Jessica Hromas/AAP PHOTOS At just three years old, Dusty Langby was already learning what it meant to be a…

World
August 12, 2026

Texas avoided a huge electricity crisis and blackout risk, thanks to the massive 20,000-megawatt solar buffer | World News

Solar panel installation, Krugerville. Image Credit: Ken Oltmann/US Department of Energy Texas has relied on its old thermal power plants…

World
August 11, 2026

Meet Japan’s ‘women of the sea’: 80-year-old diver dives into cold waters without an oxygen tank to harvest seafood using a centuries-old tradition | World News

For generations, women along Japan’s Ise-Shima coastline have entered the sea without scuba equipment or oxygen tanks to gather seafood…

World
August 10, 2026

Budapest’s low Danube exposed two German soldiers and a DKW military motorcycle; mud mixed with gas oil preserved identity discs after around 80 years

The most striking discovery was the German military motorbike recovered from the middle of the Danube (Photo-German War Graves Commission)…

World
August 9, 2026
Copyright © 2020 MP Media All rights reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?