Font ResizerAa
The Popular StoryThe Popular Story
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • World
Search
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • World
Follow US
Copyright © 2024 MP Media. All Rights Reserved.
The Popular Story > Blog > World > ‘There won’t be escalation’: Donald Trump reacts to Raúl Castro DOJ indictment over 1996 civilian plane shootdown
World

‘There won’t be escalation’: Donald Trump reacts to Raúl Castro DOJ indictment over 1996 civilian plane shootdown

By Mohit Patel Last updated: May 20, 2026 4 Min Read
Share
‘There won’t be escalation’: Donald Trump reacts to Raúl Castro DOJ indictment over 1996 civilian plane shootdown


'There won’t be escalation': Donald Trump reacts to Raúl Castro DOJ indictment over 1996 civilian plane shootdown

Donald Trump has played down fears of rising tensions with Cuba after US Justice Department indicted former Cuban president Raúl Castro over the 1996 shooting down of civilian aircraft, insisting that “there won’t be escalation” between the two countries.Asked whether the indictment could trigger further confrontation, Trump responded: “No. There won’t be escalation. I don’t think there needs to be. Look, the place is falling apart. It’s a mess, and they’ve sort of lost control.”The comments came after federal court records showed Castro, 94, has been charged in US with murder and related offences over the downing of two civilian planes operated by Cuban exile group Brothers to the Rescue nearly three decades ago.The indictment was filed in Miami federal court on April 23 and unsealed this week. It accuses Castro of one count of conspiracy to kill US nationals, four counts of murder and two counts of destruction of aircraft. Five other individuals are also named as defendants.US acting Attorney General Todd Blanche announced the charges at an event in Miami, where officials gathered to honour the victims of the 1996 incident. He said, “My message today is clear: The United States and President Trump does not and will not forget its citizens,” drawing applause from Cuban-American attendees.The case centres on the shooting down of two small planes on February 24, 1996, when Cuban MiG fighter jets intercepted and destroyed aircraft flown by Brothers to the Rescue, a Miami-based exile organisation that carried out missions over the Caribbean Sea to locate Cuban migrants attempting dangerous crossings.All four people on board were killed. The victims were Armando Alejandre, Carlos Alberto Costa, Mario Manuel de la Peña and Pablo Morales.The Cuban government has long maintained the aircraft entered its airspace illegally, while US investigations and international aviation findings concluded the planes were in international airspace when they were destroyed.Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro previously said the military acted under “standing orders” to intercept aircraft, but insisted no direct order was given by Raúl Castro, who was defence minister at the time.Raúl Castro was born in 1931 and played a central role in Cuba’s communist revolution alongside his brother Fidel, helping consolidate power after the 1959 overthrow of Fulgencio Batista. He served as defence minister for decades, later becoming president in 2008 before stepping down in 2018. He officially left the Communist Party leadership in 2021 but is still seen as an influential figure in Cuban politics.The indictment comes amid escalation in US pressure on Havana under the Trump administration, which has combined sanctions, diplomatic pressure calling Cuba a “rogue state”.Trump has also framed US policy towards Cuba to expand influence in the Western Hemisphere, saying: “From the shores of Havana to the banks of the Panama Canal, we will drive out the forces of lawlessness and crime and foreign encroachment.”Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel has rejected US accusations, warning previously that any military action would lead to a “bloodbath”.Tensions have been further complicated by Cuba’s worsening economic crisis, with fuel shortages, blackouts and food scarcity contributing to unrest on the island. Washington has increased sanctions on countries supplying fuel to Cuba, deepening the economic strain.



Source link

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
[mc4wp_form]
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Mohit Patel May 20, 2026 May 20, 2026
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

HOT NEWS

Keep these 8 foods at your desk for the 4 pm hunger attack

Keep these 8 foods at your desk for the 4 pm hunger attack

Sometimes the 4 pm craving is simply a sign that you have not eaten enough…

August 19, 2026
Mohit Patel: The Visionary Mind Behind MP Media, Monax, and The Popular Story

Mohit Patel: The Visionary Mind Behind MP Media, Monax, and The Popular Story

In the competitive era of digital media, branding, and youth culture, very few names are…

April 23, 2025
At AI Summit, PM Modi’s nameplate carries a ‘Bharat’ message | India News

At AI Summit, PM Modi’s nameplate carries a ‘Bharat’ message | India News

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday addressed the plenary session at the AI…

February 19, 2026

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Meet Dusty Langby, the 12-year-old Australian boy preparing to walk 540km to Canberra to raise $1 million for rural children’s healthcare

Photo: Jessica Hromas/AAP PHOTOS At just three years old, Dusty Langby was already learning what it meant to be a…

World
August 12, 2026

Texas avoided a huge electricity crisis and blackout risk, thanks to the massive 20,000-megawatt solar buffer | World News

Solar panel installation, Krugerville. Image Credit: Ken Oltmann/US Department of Energy Texas has relied on its old thermal power plants…

World
August 11, 2026

Meet Japan’s ‘women of the sea’: 80-year-old diver dives into cold waters without an oxygen tank to harvest seafood using a centuries-old tradition | World News

For generations, women along Japan’s Ise-Shima coastline have entered the sea without scuba equipment or oxygen tanks to gather seafood…

World
August 10, 2026

Budapest’s low Danube exposed two German soldiers and a DKW military motorcycle; mud mixed with gas oil preserved identity discs after around 80 years

The most striking discovery was the German military motorbike recovered from the middle of the Danube (Photo-German War Graves Commission)…

World
August 9, 2026
Copyright © 2020 MP Media All rights reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?