Font ResizerAa
The Popular StoryThe Popular Story
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • World
Search
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • World
Follow US
Copyright © 2024 MP Media. All Rights Reserved.
The Popular Story > Blog > World > Uss Nimitz: Another military operation on cards? USS Nimitz enters Caribbean amid US-Cuba tensions
World

Uss Nimitz: Another military operation on cards? USS Nimitz enters Caribbean amid US-Cuba tensions

By Mohit Patel Last updated: May 21, 2026 3 Min Read
Share
Uss Nimitz: Another military operation on cards? USS Nimitz enters Caribbean amid US-Cuba tensions


Contents
Trump comments after Raul Castro indictmentUS pressure on Cuba intensifiesCuba facing deep economic crisis
Another military operation on cards? USS Nimitz enters Caribbean amid US-Cuba tensions

The US aircraft carrier USS Nimitz and its strike group have entered the Caribbean Sea amid escalating tensions between Washington and Havana.The deployment comes at a time when US President Donald Trump has intensified rhetoric against Cuba and hinted at possible action against the island nation.The carrier strike group includes the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Nimitz, Carrier Air Wing 17 equipped with F/A-18E Super Hornets, EA-18G Growlers and C-2A Greyhounds, along with the destroyer USS Gridley and the replenishment oiler USNS Patuxent.The US Southern Command (Southcom), which oversees American military operations in the Caribbean and Latin America, confirmed the deployment on Wednesday.In a post on X, Southcom said, “USS Nimitz has proven its combat prowess across the globe, ensuring stability and defending democracy from the Taiwan Strait to the Arabian Gulf.”

Trump comments after Raul Castro indictment

The deployment comes shortly after the US department of justice formally charged former Cuban President Raul Castro over the 1996 downing of two civilian aircraft operated by the exile group Brothers to the Rescue.Trump said the administration has Cuba “on our mind” following the indictment. “It’s very important,” he said, adding that it was “a very big moment” for Cuban Americans and those wishing to reunite with families in Cuba.The indictment accuses Castro of ordering the shootdown of two unarmed civilian planes over international waters in 1996, killing four people. Charges include murder and destruction of an aircraft.Acting US attorney general Todd Blanche said in Miami, “For nearly 30 years, the families of four murdered Americans have waited for justice.”

US pressure on Cuba intensifies

The Trump administration has steadily increased pressure on Havana in recent months through sanctions, diplomatic pressure and warnings of possible action.US authorities recently captured former Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, further raising concerns in Cuba.CIA director John Ratcliffe met Cuban officials in Havana last week and warned that the window for talks “would not remain open indefinitely.”US secretary of state Marco Rubio, who is Cuban-American, also issued a Spanish-language message supporting the US fuel blockade on Cuba while blaming the communist government for recurring blackouts and economic hardship.

Cuba facing deep economic crisis

Cuba is facing severe economic troubles marked by fuel shortages, food scarcity and widespread blackouts. Trump, however, attempted to downplay fears of direct military escalation.“There won’t be escalation. I don’t think there needs to be. Look, the place is falling apart. It’s a mess, and they’ve sort of lost control,” Trump said.The USS Nimitz, commissioned in 1975, had recently participated in joint naval exercises with the Brazilian Navy off Rio de Janeiro before entering the Caribbean region.



Source link

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
[mc4wp_form]
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Mohit Patel May 21, 2026 May 21, 2026
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

HOT NEWS

Keep these 8 foods at your desk for the 4 pm hunger attack

Keep these 8 foods at your desk for the 4 pm hunger attack

Sometimes the 4 pm craving is simply a sign that you have not eaten enough…

August 19, 2026
Mohit Patel: The Visionary Mind Behind MP Media, Monax, and The Popular Story

Mohit Patel: The Visionary Mind Behind MP Media, Monax, and The Popular Story

In the competitive era of digital media, branding, and youth culture, very few names are…

April 23, 2025
At AI Summit, PM Modi’s nameplate carries a ‘Bharat’ message | India News

At AI Summit, PM Modi’s nameplate carries a ‘Bharat’ message | India News

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday addressed the plenary session at the AI…

February 19, 2026

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Meet Dusty Langby, the 12-year-old Australian boy preparing to walk 540km to Canberra to raise $1 million for rural children’s healthcare

Photo: Jessica Hromas/AAP PHOTOS At just three years old, Dusty Langby was already learning what it meant to be a…

World
August 12, 2026

Texas avoided a huge electricity crisis and blackout risk, thanks to the massive 20,000-megawatt solar buffer | World News

Solar panel installation, Krugerville. Image Credit: Ken Oltmann/US Department of Energy Texas has relied on its old thermal power plants…

World
August 11, 2026

Meet Japan’s ‘women of the sea’: 80-year-old diver dives into cold waters without an oxygen tank to harvest seafood using a centuries-old tradition | World News

For generations, women along Japan’s Ise-Shima coastline have entered the sea without scuba equipment or oxygen tanks to gather seafood…

World
August 10, 2026

Budapest’s low Danube exposed two German soldiers and a DKW military motorcycle; mud mixed with gas oil preserved identity discs after around 80 years

The most striking discovery was the German military motorbike recovered from the middle of the Danube (Photo-German War Graves Commission)…

World
August 9, 2026
Copyright © 2020 MP Media All rights reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?